1. Determine Whether Children Are Present—Best Practice
2. Health & Safety Checks on Children — Best Practice
3. Talking With Children About the Incident—As appropriate for LE investigation
4. Avoid Interviewing Witnesses in the Presence of Children
5. Follow-up Interviews — CAC Needed?
6. Documentation – Child’s name, age and school should be documented by the responding officer.
7. Avoid Subduing or Arresting Someone in the Presence of Children
8. Separating Children from the Care Giving Parent/Guardian — Done with care if required
9. Resources; Provide Parent/Guardian information:
10. Daily Review of Reports
11. Quarterly Handle With Care Core Team Meeting (this will happen monthly for the first several months following implementation)
At least quarterly, key HWC stakeholders will review and evaluate HWC and make recommendations for improvement as necessary.
The Team will assess the following to determine the effectiveness of HWC: academic achievements; truancies; and disciplinary reports. The meeting will not focus on specific cases.